Rochelle,

>>BTW the Orion articles I mentioned can be found at
orion.mscc.huji.ac.il while the St. Andrews stuff is at
www.st-and.ac.uk.<<

Thank you very much for the review, and I will be following up the
leads you provided! It seems, to me, that the relation of format to
provenance is an important area of research that needs more serious
attention by mainstream scholarship.

I do note, though, that you appear to be at variance with David
Trobisch with regard to the question of whether the NT codices we have
so far discovered are products of "published" editions. From what I
can make of his arguments, he attributes the order of books within
subgroups (four gospels, Pauline corpus, Acts-General epistles,
Revelation, which are indicative of transmission history), as well as
catch-word associations (suggesting agenda), to editorial activity of
publishers ("private" not "official" as there was no official - global
vs local - authorities before the 3rd century, but nonetheless
probably representing groups).

However, Trobisch finds little evidence that he feels supports the
"traditional" concept of house/village/town churches making private
copies of freely circulating mss. I am Harry Gamble, it seems from his
description of what he conceives to be the typical transmission
process (based on the practices of Roman aristocracy around the turn
of the era, and 3rd century and later church thinkers), is much more
in sympathy with the latter concept.

I hope this is not too off-topic for Orion, as the question of who was
copying what and for what reasons crosses platforms.

Regards,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

For private reply, e-mail to "David C. Hindley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>