Walter cited Stern:

> "From this combined evidence of both written documents and archaeological
> remains, it appears that, even before the arrival of the Assyrians, but
> mainly during and after their period of domination, THERE WAS GREEK
> PENETRATION INTO PALESTINE BY TRADERS AND MERCENARIES. NO DISCUSSION OF
THIS
> PERIOD CAN IGNORE THEM, and in any case, their presence here seems to
> reflect somewhat more than the results of regular trade relations alone,
as
> was suggested by J. Waldbaum." (p.227, Stern)

Greek mercenaries in the Assyrian epoch?
That's less probable, for the first certain reference to Greek mercenaries
that we possess is in connection to Pharaoh Psammetich III. 525 BC. The
total number of mercenaries from the Peloponnese in action at one time
differs from roughly 1.000 in the 6th century up to 4.000 during the
Peleponnesian War and the following decades of the 4th century, when "many
compelled through want of daily bread to serve as mercenaries," (Isocrates
4.167), so that the (exaggerated) Ten Thousand are reached in Xenophon's
Anabasis.
Consequently "the focus of interest shifts in the main from Greek cities to
Macedonia and to the Graeco-Macedonian kingdoms of the Hellenistic world,
and to understand the change one must begin at the beginning, with Macedonia
of Philip and Alexander." (Griffith_Mercenaries of the Hellenistic
World_Ares 1935, p.7)

Tot ziens.
Dierk
                ~`´~
              ( o o )
-oOOO--------OOOo-----
    Cunctine adestis, liberi?
  oooO   Hic est Casparolus
   (   )   Oooo         *g*
           (_/

For private reply, e-mail to "Dierk van den Berg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>