Danny Schwartz once pointed out to me that there were those who did not
consider A converted Jew a real Jew. Herod met someone like that in
Caesarea if I recall properly and Danny has an extended note on that
point. By saying that essenes are jews by birth all Josephus is saying
that they do not accept converts into their fold. Today tghere are
expressions like "pure sefardi" "frum from birth" "holy from the womb" and
its most likely that is all Josephus is saying. There may indeed have been
non-jewish groups using tghe term essene . there is no evidence jospehus
knows about them or is thinking of them. His statement is intelligible in
its own right. If Josephus' essnes did not recognize other Jews as being
jewish they would have died out quite rapidly since they didnt produce
offspring of their own for the most part.

Herb Basser
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

For private reply, e-mail to Herbert Basser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>