Stephen Goranson has written on ioudaios in response to my
last orion post:

(SG, 1/29/02, ioudaios [in full])
This morning I find that Greg Doudna, after "quoting" me in
truncated, misleading, innacurate manner, has attributed to
me (on orion this time) definitions and views I have never
espoused and, in some cases (e.g., "data inerrancy"),
never even ever heard of! I ask that such GD
misrepresentation stop.
sincerely,
Stephen Goranson

(GD)
Goranson titled this something like 'Doudna and
misrepresentation'. Goranson is blowing smoke.
I am not aware that the quotation from Goranson, although
truncated, was inaccurate. I was responding to Goranson's
misrepresentation of me on numerous lists for some 4-5
years now (I am sticking to orion). The term 'data inerrancy'
was my paraphrase of what I thought Goranson meant.
I do not wish to attribute views to Goranson inaccurately
and can only plead that I am at a loss to know what it is,
exactly, that he does mean to say.

What has happened is that, on another list which I am not
subscribed to, Goranson makes unprovoked, sweeping,
ill-defined misrepresentations of someone else's work
(mine). I attempted to respond (on Orion), and asked a
few relevant questions of my own pertaining to the topic.
Goranson has not responded to any of the substantive issues
of my response. Nor has he acknowledged or apologized
for any of his misrepresentations of me which I pointed out,
and which started the exchange.

Further misrepresentations by Goranson in addition to
ones already noted, in the same post of Goranson on ioudaios
of 1/23 which I quoted last time:

Goranson referred to "several non-probably overlapping
hypotheses, some of which have already been disproven, e.g.
the single 'shotgun' blast interpretation of C14 date ranges,
and dismissing 'outliers' ..."

Attempt at deconstruction:
(1) First, when Goranson says 'have already been
disproven', this appears to mean "which I [Goranson]
have denounced repeatedly before, as I am now". I am
aware of no published article 'disproving' any relevant
point of my Doudna 1998 radiocarbon analysis, and
for Goranson to imply to the wide scholarly readership
of ioudaios that such has occurred is simply a slur.

(2) The shotgun blast. I used the shotgun blast image
once in Doudna 1998, as a pedagogical device with
reference to the truism that multiple radiocarbon datings
of a single item or items of identical actual date
should yield a spread of dates around the true actual
date--similar to the way a shotgun blast at a target
will scatter around the bullseye. I am at a loss to
understand what Goranson finds objectionable in
*my* use of the term, much less in what sense
this has been 'disproven'.

(3) Goranson elsewhere in that post characterized my
'single generation hypothesis' of Doudna 1998 as
proposing that all of the Qumran text copies are from
the 1st century BCE. That is not correct. I proposed
that most of the text copies are, but not all (I was
quite clear on that). If Goranson means it is 'disproven'
that a large number of Qumran text copies are from the
same approximate generation, I have one response to
that: that is nonsense. I don't claim my proposal is
proven, but I know that it is not disproven. (On the
issue of the alleged 175-year history of Serekh
manuscripts and development, see my discussion in
_4Q Pesher Nahum. A Critical Edition_ on that point.)

(4) Goranson also cited Dr. Tim Jull, editor of
_Radiocarbon_ journal, as allegedly agreeing with
Goranson that dismissing of outliers is unscientific.
It is a rhetorical tactic to piggyback the names of
the famous on to one's own ideas. Readers of
ioudaios are given no bibliographic citation, no
actual statement of Jull, no explanation for how
whatever Jull said relates to Doudna 1998, etc.
In fact Jull has never to my knowledge published
any comment concerning Doudna 1998, but
Goranson does not disclose this to ioudaios readers
(who might assume in the absence of disclosure
that Goranson refers to some publication of Jull).
Goranson does not disclose to the ioudaios
readership that others on orion have disputed
Goranson's exegesis of Jull. In fact Jull told me
once that Jull did not agree with Goranson's
exegesis of Jull. I am not about to respond
to Jull as filtered through Goranson's paraphrase.
Out of fairness to Jull, Jull speaks much better for
himself and I will respond to anything Jull might
say concerning Doudna 1998, if and when Jull
does say something concerning Doudna 1998.

I appeal to Goranson again to stop the
misrepresentation. I would be happy to agree, if
Goranson will, that neither he nor I represents the
other in any way. If Goranson is unwilling to
agree to this, I request Goranson to address
the substantive issues I raised in my last post,
e.g. disclose what he feels is the correct method,
with specifics, for determining true date information
for Qumran texts on the basis of the existing
radiocarbon data. I think if Goranson is unwilling
to comply with either of these requests readers
of Orion and ioudaios will draw the appropriate
conclusions.

Greg Doudna

For private reply, e-mail to "Greg Doudna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>