On Tue, 7 May 2002, Reinaldo Martinez wrote:

> Regarding Shamash (the sun) in Jewish cult,
>
> Lupia and Horowitz properly pointed out evidences that
> I couldn`t place better.
>
> I guess that many would find horrified at the
> possibilities that the "Amen" we still use in prayers
> and "Adon" (the Lord) could come from Egyptian
> "Amen-Ra" and "Athon" of Amarna (Akhet.Athon), but the
> possibility is real.
Hardly! If you show me that in egyptian texts Amen is used as it is in
Hebrew, biblical and later, I might consider it rather than an explanation
based only on Hebrew. Also, as long as Adon is a simple equivalent of the
commonly used semitic baal as a divine epithet, I see no reason to go to
egyptian for an etymology, assuming you can, inthe first place, show that
the phonological equivalency is sound. In general, when there is a
perfectly good explanation for a word's meaning within its language and
cognate language, there is little justification for going to another, not
even related language to explain it. Also, as my colleague Chayim Cohen
constantly points out, semantic equivalence and equivalent usage is more
important for establishing the meaning of words than etymology, and how
much more so when the etymological relationship based on rules of
phonology is dubious.
Victor

 > > Honest and frank facing of fact
is always needed in > science. > > R. MArtinez