>I see from the old ORO 1.0 documentation that there is/was a
>Perl5StreamInput class for processing from a stream.

Perl5StreamInput was removed because it simply didn't work right.  The
idea of matching an input stream with Perl regular expressions was
flawed.  For a detailed explanation see:
 "On the Use of Regular Expressions for Searching Text", Clark and Cormack,
  ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, Vol 19, No. 3,
  pp 413-426.

While I'm responding, I want to apologize for not following through on
the work I promised to do earlier this month involving implmenting
Dan Liposfky's FilenameFilter suggestion, applying the last posix
character class patch, and other items.  The company I work for
just laid off 70% of its employees and the past two weeks have left
me scrambling around trying to keep the rest of the company going.

daniel