In message <002101c13c80$4409d4e0$2e02000a@frogger>, "Tracy Spiva" writes:
>However, the search and substitution fail for this character (ie... using
>substitute("s/\\x92/'/); or the contains with \\x92).  With perl, the
>substitution works fine.  Is there something I can do to get it to work with
>ORO?

I can find nothing wrong.  Run the following test program (it outputs
foo'bar as expected):

public final class sub {
  public static final void main(String args[]) {
    Perl5Util perl = new Perl5Util();
    System.out.println(perl.substitute("s/\\x92/'/g", "foo\u0092bar"));
  }
}

The problem you're running into is probably in your Java I/O.  Whatever
you're doing to create the input is not preserving the character.  If
you're reading 8-bit extended ASCII, use an InputStream to read the
original source, else certain byte-sequences will be interpreted as UTF-8
by a Reader and what you get in terms of Java characters will not be what
you expect.

daniel