On Do, 2010-12-16 at 17:35 +0000, Lukas Zeller wrote:
> Hello Patrick,
>
> On Dec 9, 2010, at 17:47 , Patrick Ohly wrote:
>
> > I might have found it.
> >
> > Scenario:
> > - SERVER is the ID on the server, CLIENT on the client
> > - server has a mapping from SERVER to #35 (ident 2) and to CLIENT (ident 1)
>
> Where is this from? I assume it is from a previous session (that has
> not completed, otherwise it should not be there).

Anecdotes indicate that it indeed happens when a previous session did
not complete correctly.

> Now it turns out that there's a bad bug here, which probably explains
> all this (and maybe other) weird behaviour.

I'm glad that you got to the bottom of this. Much better than pampering
over the symptoms. So my question now is: should the code that I added
to detect collisions remain in the code?

The loop which detects non-unique temporary IDs is harmless. But the one
which iterates over all mappings to find a previous mapping to the same
local ID has a real performance impact.

My preference would be this:
- turn the messages in these loops into real errors
- keep them for a while
- remove after the real fix has proven to be effective

--
Best Regards

Patrick Ohly
Senior Software Engineer

Intel GmbH
Open Source Technology Center
Pützstr. 5                              Phone: +49-228-2493652
53129 Bonn
Germany