Hello Patrick,

the patch is fine, anyway!

Regarding differences between blob and string when it comes to compare

On 14 Jul 2014, at 20:10, Patrick Ohly <patrick.o...@intel.com> wrote:

>> My first question would be why PHOTO was defined "string" here, not "blob"?
>
> I changed that in this commit:
>
> [...]
>
> Unfortunately I did not write down why I changed the type, instead of
> merely changing the compare setting.
>
> Does it matter at all?

Not any more today, I'd guess. But much of that code is dated from 2003, when
we had way slower environments and at the same time we were working in a
project for using SyncML for E-Mail sync, where attachment blobs could get
multi-megabytes. I don't remember the details, but it was all about trying to
avoid touching those fat attachment blobs and cause them expensively pulled
from disk until absolutely needed. I think there is is code somewhere in the
script engine that deliberately restricts comparing blobs for that reason.

But as said, with contact photos and todays infrastructure, these
considerations are slightly outdated today ;-) Palm Pilots with 4Meg storage
total ("disk"+"ram") are no longer the target...

Best Regards,

Lukas