There are a couple of reasons for having the sets in XML.  We want users
to be able to easily make their own sets as well as quickly look at
existing package sets.  The hope is that people will make many small
sets of their own that can be combined to make a customized OSCAR
install.  This is true for both packages and machines.  For machines,
there would be many small subsets of the larger cluster so each machine
can be customized easily (i.e. have one package on these server/clients
and another on these, and another on all).  There is no easy way for a
user to access the database, especially since it is not even created at
the time they need to access it (when they are designing their
cluster).  If it is a fresh install, the database won't be created until
after the install kicks off, but it is needed long before that if the
sets were to be in it.

I do agree that it might be useful to put the result of the machine set
information into the database for other parts of OSCAR to use once the
set manager has done it's work to combine the package sets and machine
sets.  This would be something that can be added.

Does that clear things up?

Wesley

Jean Parpaillon wrote:

Wesley Bland