hi,

This came out of a discussion on the python.my lists, of which I'm an
active member. This concerns the standards for information pertaining
to data-interoperability between systems in Malaysia that needs to
validate/interchange data.

The discussion originated from one of the python.my developers
contributing a patch for the 'Malaysian flavour' of postcode, state
and phone numbers, to the Django project. (Dlango is one of the major
web-frameworks for Python).

Then another member raised the fact that, there is an issue with
'state-codes' for IC numbers under JPN, "Jabatan Perdaftaran Negara".
this is a quote from the other list:

"My state code is 71 and I was born in Singapore but in the JPN's
website, Singapore's code is 66 and there is no code 71. So I asked
JPN for clarification and the response given is that 71 was used in
the past for ASEAN countries and later they broke it up for the
separate countries in ASEAN.

..anybody programming validation criteria using JPN's website will of
course flag my code 71 as invalid."

This person also pointed out that MAMPU, has this website that's suppose to:

   http://ddsa.mampu.gov.my/

"..... the public sector data dictionary or Data Dictionary Sector
Awam at http://ddsa.mampu.gov.my/ which according to the site is for

     'memudahkan usaha-usaha system integration dan interoperability antara
     sistem-sistem dan perkongsian maklumat di antara agensi-agensi
Sektor Awam'.

BUT this website is NOT OPEN. You need to REGISTER TO GAIN ACCESS!

Duh... in this day and age of open colloboration, WHY KEEP THIS
CLOSED! Its not national secrets, no?

I can't fathom why the left hand (MOSCC) of MAMPU does not know what
the right hand is doing, unless its some strange poilicy issue?!

Seeing that OSDC has close links with MAMPU, perhaps someone here can
bring this to their attention.

PS
Looking at that website, I notice there is a section on Health. I am
currently working on health informatics and am well exposed to the
issues involved (health is highly complex, because it involves medical
terminology & procedures plus other business processes....) and I
would really like to see what 'standards' MAMPU has set, how relevant
is it and how much of it MOH (Min. of Health, which I work closely
with) follows.... I have not heard MOH mention MAMPU at all!

--
#-------
regds,

Boh Heong, Yap