I love this :)

Sent from my iPhone

On 2 Mar 2011, at 14:00, Meling Mudin <meli...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

First of all, an introduction.

HackerspaceKL is a community-oriented hackerspace where people make creative
things with technology. It will be a place for hackers, coders, geeks,
makers, nerds, artists, students, and everyone from all walks of life
to hang out and meet each other, work on projects and meet people with
similar interest, conduct lectures, workshops, and tutorials, and share
knowledge and resources such as electronic equipments, computer devices, and
other gadgets. We are similar to other hackerspaces such as
Metalab<http://metalab.at/> (Vienna,
Austria), /tmp/lab <http://www.tmplab.org/> (Paris, France),
HacDC<http://www.hacdc.org/>(Washington
DC, USA), Randomdata <http://www.randomdata.nl/>(Utrecth, The
Netherlands), Pumping
Station: One <http://www.pumpingstationone.org/> (Chicago, IL, USA),
and Tog<http://www.tog.ie/> (Dublin,
Ireland). Regionally, we are dissimilar to
HackerspaceSG<http://hackerspace.sg/> (Singapore)
due to our orientation towards DIY culture and tinkering, while theirs is
more towards social gatherings and co-working. We also fullfil our social
and community role by conducting workshops, trainings and classes on
electronics, Open Source, computer security, and any other subject.

We have been around for exactly 1 year and 2 months, and our small little
community is actively growing.

On behalf of HSKL, I would like to invite the leaders of the Open Source
community to utilize the space for meetups, workshops, and events. There are
no requirements to host events by non-members at our space - you just need
to observe our house rules (http://wiki.hackerspace.my/wiki/HouseRules),
 get one of our members to help out in organizing your event (
http://wiki.hackerspace.my/wiki/EventHowTo), and provide donations for the
upkeep of the space. And of course, anyone is welcome to be a member as
well.

For a typical workshop-style events, we have tables, chairs, projector and
whiteboard. Our room (the only one with airconditioning) can accomodate at
most 30 people for a presentation-only event. For workshops, we can
accommodate at most 20-25 people.

As a suggestion, I would like the open source community to start running a
monthly event similar to our Security Meetup (which happens every first
Tuesday of the month). The format is simple: one presenter to talk on topic
of interest, followed by discussion. Topics can be anything related to Open
Source (in a similar vein, for Security Meetup, the topics are anything
related to security - Kakeman talked about physical security/alarm systems
at the last meetup).

If you are interested, please do not hesitate to contact me, the committee (
commit...@hackerspace.my) or m...@hackerspace.my.

Cheers,

--mel

http://www.hackerspace.my

MOSC2011 http://fb.me/mosc2011

MOSC Survey 2011 Awareness Of OSS Certification
http://survey.mosc.my/mosc-survey-2011-awareness-oss-cert