On 4/03/2011 8:02 p.m., Mohd Kamal Bin Mustafa wrote:
On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Ghodmode<ghodm...@ghodmode.com>  wrote:
I'm a hosting reseller and I looked it up.  I have shared hosting plans
available with Java for $66.12 / yr (about RM200)
(http://www.securepaynet.net/hosting/hosting.aspx?ci=17075&prog_id=452044#details).
Mahal ka?  I'm pretty sure the server specs (memory, processor, etc.) are
the same as the plan without Java, but I couldn't find the exact details.
It hard for me to trust this kind of hosting (no offence to you)
unless there's technical details that can convince me on how they
setup the hosting. But I'm referring more on local hosting so even I
can trust this, latency still an issue (assuming this is US based
hosting).
Actually, I agree with you. It irritates me that I can't get the technical specs on the server that is hosting my web site. Unfortunately, though, I think it's pretty common.

The company that I'm a reseller for is GoDaddy.com. They're a well-known, reputable company with very reliable support and perfect uptime. That's why I decided to host with them and become a reseller.

Previously I was hosting with Exabytes (Malaysian company), but I wasn't a reseller.

To give some perspective, webfaction (hosting that I trust) do not
officially support Java. I don't know Java so I can't tell how hard it
is to provide good and reliable java hosting. To host plone site
(which considered the most resource hungry for python) on webfaction,
we need more than 100M RAM, (the basic plan at 9.50 USD/month gave
80M). If java can use less resource than this, it would be an
interesting news to me, worth to explore some more.  My guess at best
you can only run single java app within this limit so still considered
expensive compared to php or python.

So, I think my plan has a good price because it's 6.99 USD/month with guaranteed Java hosting. I could actually tweak those prices a bit, too.

I know Java, but the Java web projects that I've worked on have always had the full resources of a dedicated server. The server side configuration is more complicated for a Java-based web application than for PHP, Python, or Perl, but that doesn't really have any implications for the resources required.

Now that I think about it, the resource improvements to Java that I've read about were based on stand-alone applications rather than web applications. So, there may be a completely different set of resource and performance concerns when developing a Java-based web application versus a stand-alone application.

I'd be very interested in learning about specific resource requirements of different types of web applications.

--

Ghodmode
http://www.ghodmode.com/blog