On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Slaya Chronicles - Geeko Acolyte <
msiantuxlo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Closed Core == sounds like FOSS, smells like FOSS, looks like FOSS but
> it ain't FOSS.

"Open Core" is a real term and that all applies, but (I think) I made up
that term "Closed Core" and I don't even know if the concept is valid.

It seems to me that "Open Core" implementations are basically a lie told to
consumers to lock them into proprietary software before they realize it.
Because of the lie, it's worse than regular proprietary software.

In the "Open Core" concept, if all of that proprietary stuff wrapped around
the FLOSS base went away, the core software would still be okay.

In this "Closed Core" concept I'm describing, if the proprietary core of the
applications goes away, none of the FLOSS applications built around it would
work any more.

It would be like we had all of the GNU utilities without a Linux kernel to
run them on.  In fact, it really happened that way 30 years ago. GNU was
developed without the Linux kernel (ref:
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-history.html ).

So, what I'm wondering is whether or not "Closed Core" is a valid concept
and if we can apply that term to free Facebook apps, for example.  I suppose
a similar concept could be applied to free Windows software that requires
proprietary libraries.

What do we, as a community, think about this?  Should we discourage this
type of software development?  If the closed core (i.e.: Facebook or
Windows) went away, would the apps go away, be rewritten to work on another
API, or would we write a new core implementing the missing APIs?

We're actually two groups in one... FLOSS enthusiasts and Software
Developers.  As a developer I say "ooohh! Facebook API... cool!", but as a
FLOSS enthusiast I don't like Facebook's limitations or secrets.

--
Ghodmode
http://www.ghodmode.com/blog