On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Umarzuki Mochlis <umarz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had searched on the net for a few days but none of the truly open
> source/free software (no freemium please!) but nothing that could back up
> windows system state.
>
> As we know, a windows server backed up via smb or rsyncd (cygwin) only does
> files & folders backup. Without the system state, any change to the
> registry, local user added etc. would not be restored.

The Windows system state is stored in files and folders.  Specifically, the
Windows registry files are located in c:\Windows\System32\config They should
be readable by rsync or SMB.

In Windows, unlike in Linux and OSX, file access and locking is managed by
the operating system.  So,  these files might be locked and unreadable by a
backup program.  They're definitely not writable.  If they're not readable,
then no backup program will be able to backup the files while Windows is
running.  This is probably true even in "Safe Mode".  This might be why many
drive-cloning programs boot to their own "live cd" like environment.  In
this case, Clonezilla, as recommended by "TH Chew" is a solution, but it
won't allow you to do automated backups easily.

If you do have to power off your server, it's perfectly reasonable in a
corporate environment to have a scheduled maintenance period.

Another option to consider is that you could use your cloned hard drive
image to put a copy of your server on another machine.  When you're ready to
do your backup, disconnect the network wire from the main machine and
immediately connect it to its clone.  There won't be any noticeable
down-time for users while you do your backups.  Since you're never using
both machines at the same time, you're not violating your Windows server
license.  This requires some creative interpretation of the license terms,
but I don't think it would ever get you into any kind of trouble.