Robert, J-S,

> This morning I awoke and I realised that perhaps this whole thread is
> rather barking up the wrong tree, as you have also deduced - the
> LibraryPathList is for principally for finding the plugins which is
> done at runtime, and plugins site in their own subdirectory and should
> not be installed alongside normal libs, and as such won't ever be
> found by normal OS library searching.

I had no idea that my post would spark off such a flurry.

Please remember, that as I mentioned in my initial post, my comments were
limited to the windows platform only. Also my problem was that my application
was loading someone else's versions of the plugins from where someone else had
put them, not from where I had put my versions. That other installation could
date back to the dawn of osg time, before the time that the osg plugins
directory was invented.

Whilst the behaviour of my installation program is under my control, the
behaviour of other peoples is not. So the way things are at the moment I run
the risk of things crashing horribly on random machines. Personally I happy to
run with my private fix to specifically null out the library search path at
application start time, and leave things as they are. However I think many
other developers of OSG applications for the windows platform will fall foul of
this issue.

Also if there is to be a "rule" that osg plugins must reside in a specifically
named sub-directory then this needs to be clearly documented and the code
modified so that a plugin load cannot find them anywhere else. This is not the
case at the moment. I am far from convinced that this is the correct approach,
but I can live with it provided that at least the bit about the code not be
able to find plugins anywhere else is implemented. Once this flurry has died
down I will submit a patch to implement it if required :-)

Roger