I'm still finding my way around OSG so I wanted to find out if this issue is
mine before I continue pulling my hair out.

I downloaded and built OSG 2.1.8. I took the code from one of the examples
to test, prior to integrating OSG into my app. This is on WinXP SP2 x86 and
the dev env is VC++ in VS8.

- I created a new project using the code from the "osgViewerMFC" example.

- It compiled fine in both release and debug and it launches with no issues.

- When I use the open command (from menu or toolbar) and direct it to any
test osg file, it crashes with both debug and release builds.

- I used the VS debugger to walk through and find the crash in the debug
build.

- Line 143 of "optimizer.cpp" caused an unhandled exception because node was
a NULL point.

- I walked up the call stack back into the osgViewerMFC code and found the
cause is that mModel in cOSG::InitSceneGraph ("MFC_OSG.cpp") is also NULL.

- It turns out osgDB::readNodeFile, earlier in InitSceneGraph, returned a
NULL mModel even though the filename passed was valid.

To verify it wasn't my settings when creating the example project from
scratch I chose another example, specifically osgShadow example. I created a
new project added the source, compiled, and both debug and release work
perfectly.

Is this a known issue with osgViewerMFC? If not any suggestion on what might
be causing it?

Thanks!

Ricko