Hi Paul,

All I can say is welcome to C++ :-)

Occasionally one has to cast away constness for the sake of
convinience and to avoid duplicating many code blocks that otherwise
would have to have both const and non const versions.  When you cast
away constness you are effectively taking the law in your hands and
agreeing not to be naughty and break any rules - only bend them a
little.

Robert.