Just some more suggestions for references ...

(1) osgEphemeris, by Don Burns
(http://andesengineering.com/Projects/OsgEphemeris) - uses OSG (and
osgProducer) to create virtual environments for sky, moon, planets, and
stars.

(2) Delta3D (http://www.delta3d.org <http://www.delta3d.org/> ) - uses
OSG in developing a gaming and simulation engine.

(3) FlightGear (http://www.flightgear.org <http://www.flightgear.org/> )
- SVN project uses OSG, but prior releases use straight OpenGL for
environment rendering (I believe this part is handled using SimGear,
www.simgear.org <http://www.simgear.org/> ).

All references are open-source, so they should provide some good
examples how environment rendering is handled both with OSG and OpenGL.

chuck