I've tried writing a start-stop frame loop, and it seems to work fine.
You have to make sure you know when objects are moving in the scene.  I
also added a periodic redraw (i used something between once a second and
once every 5 seconds) just so the app wouldn't get swapped out and have
trouble waking up quickly.

Are there any other perceptual drawbacks to the start-stop approach,
assuming you can start and stop the frame loop reliably?

-ellery-

Bob Kuehne wrote:
> we'll have to agree to disagree. i think rendering when data hasn't
> changed is a bad use of system resources. what matters ultimately
> isn't frame-rate, but _perceived_ frame-rate, and if the user is
> staring at an immobile object from an immobile view, 60Hz is no better
> than 1Hz.
>
> eof.
>
> On Nov 15, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Robert Osfield wrote:
>

>> On Nov 15, 2007 3:19 PM, Bob Kuehne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> in fact, what paul says is very similar to what i often do in test
>>> apps:
>>>
>>> while ( !viewer.done() )
>>> {
>>>        usleep( timeToSleepToGetMeToMyDesiredFrameRate );
>>>        viewer.frame();
>>> }
>>>
>>> in a more commercial-style app, i'd recommend only redrawing when
>>> data
>>> actually