Random thoughts:

COLLADA, in an attempt to address this common issue, does provide a flag
to specify which axis to call "up".

For applying a static rotation, that was exactly the motivation for the
.rot and .trans pseudoloaders: to adjust coordinate systems via data
filenames rather than code or special flags in every plugin.

Eg: osgviewer mydata.anyformat.0,0,-90.rot

Cheers
-- mew

For