I ran into this problem very recently too on a Win32 system.  The solution I
had to adopt was checking the modifier keys using the Win32 API's GetKeyState
function when processing a key that's affected by modifiers.

I agree that it probably shouldn't be OSG's responsibility to account for this
problem.  However, part of the problem stems from OSG attempting to support,
given a false sense of security.

On the Windows side, we could explicitly poll a modifier key's state before
sending an event off to the EventQueue, without relying on KEYUP/KEYDOWN
synchronization.  However, doing something like that would cause
inconsistencies between the platforms, and I don't know if the X11 has a
counterpart.

Chase