Philip,

Just wanted to let you know that it appears to be working.  I had the
two tif files that you have and the following BMNG tar which I
extracted:

world.topo.200406.3x21600x21600.panels.jpg.tar

The osgdem program has been generating *.ive files for 4 days now.  I
hope it finishes soon.  These are the 500m images and there are eight of
them that create the image of the entire world.  I am not sure if the
osgdem program is actually using these or not.

Here is the command I used:

osgdem --bluemarble-west -t ../land_shallow_topo_west.tiff
--bluemarble-east -t ../land_shallow_topo_east.tiff--geocentric -l 12 -o
earth.ive

I got this command from the webpage that I downloaed the tif files from,
www.andesengineering.com/BlueMarbleViewer.  It also stated that the
following example uses Earth as a directory and has the blue marble
images in the directory above the Earth directory.  Then it had the
command I used above following.  Since I am learning could someone tell
me how much data should be generated?  Or can you tell by the command.

Thanks,
Michael