Hello,

The following 2 posts are copied from the COIN mailing list.... Peder is a
Systems In Motion person.

John F. Richardson

John Pye wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've been reading the Inventor Mentor book and there is talk about the
> file format that can be used to write 3D models and read them back.
> But the book doesn't make any mention of VRML at all.
>
> I always assumed VRML was an XML-based language, but recently I learnt
> that it looks very much like the Open Inventor file format.
>
> Can someone explain to me whether the file format created by
> SoWriteAction is actually standard VRML, or something else, and if so,
what?

In addition to what Robert said:

SoWriteAction just dumps anything you have in the scene graph, and it's
basically up to the user if this is a valid VRML97 scene graph. However, to
write a VRML97 file, you need to set the output header to "#VRML V2.0 utf8"
(see SoOutput::setHeaderString() [1]).

It's also possible to use SoToVRML2Action[2] to convert any scene graph into
a VRML97 scene graph.

Peder
---
[1] http://doc.coin3d.org/Coin/classSoOutput.html#a14
[2] http://doc.coin3d.org/Coin/classSoToVRML2Action.html

JP -

My understanding is that there are 4 related file formats.
In chronological order:

  * Inventor (.iv) as output by SoWriteAction (starts with '#Inventor')
  * VRML1 (.wrl) similar to Inventor (starts with '#VRML V1.0')
  * VRML2/VRML97 (.wrl) (starts with '#VRML V2.0')
  * X3D (can use either VRML97 syntax or XML)

Hopefully someone will correct any errors.