On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 10:11 +0100, Kim C Bale wrote:
> There isn't really anything specific to OSG that can help you with this.
> I am working on underwater effects at the moment and most of my work has
> been with shaders.
>
> Tessendorf offers a fairly comprehensive guide to ocean rendering both
> above and below water here:
> http://graphics.ucsd.edu/courses/rendering/2005/jdewall/tessendorf.pdf
> the papers he references in that cover most techniques.
>
> The book, Shader X5 has a good section on creating god-rays using a
> multi-pass technique.
>
> Aside from that osgParticle gives you the framework to create a range of
> particle effects such as plankton, silt on the seabed and bubbles.
> Osg::Fog is also useful as a quick and easy underwater cue.
>
> I also played around with multi-pass rendering and refraction shaders,
> refracting images above water through the ocean surface and warping the
> screen in general creating a kind of wobbly underwater feel.
>
> I'm afraid I can't share any code, but if you're looking for
> inspiration, take a look at the games BioShock or the underwater

Not trying to take this thread off topic, but taking a look at BioShock
should be done by everyone, not just because they have best water
effects in any game to date. :) BioShock is probably the best game I've
played in 5 years... the ambiance and settings and story and everything
are simply without peer...