I dont know if it will helps but i worked on a manipulator a few month ago to manipulate planet maybe it could help you.
http://www.plopbyte.net/#EarthManipulator
hg clone http://hg.plopbyte.net/EarthManipulator/ to get it, it's a mercurial repository

i hope it will helps

Daniel Moos wrote:
Hi Roni

Could it be, that the zooming depends on the eye-distance.
eye-distance * zoom-factor

If you come closer the zoom-step will decrease...
I think this is the concept which is implemented in OpenSceneGraph.

Daniel