Thanks a lot for explanation to you and Артём, but my class is derived
from Geode, therefore osgUtil::UpdateVisitor::apply(Geode&) calls
handle_geode_callbacks(osg::Geode& geode), which doesn't call traverse
anyway:
// should we traverse just in case a subclass of Geode adds children??
Won't for now as
// Geode's aren't designed to have children.
// traverse(geode);

As I see Geode hasn't chance to update itself without callback?

P.S. Of cource, simple class can resolve this problem:
class CallTraverseCallback : public osg::NodeCallback
{
public:
        void operator() (Node* node, NodeVisitor* nv)
        {
                node->traverse(*nv);
        }
};