Hi,

My model's axes are aligned to the world coordinate system. What I need is the
body/local coordinate system of the plane to rotate the plane correctly in each
tick. I've attached a screen shot which shows the wrong rotation using world
coordinate system (the plane is rotated 90 degrees to the right and pitch up 90
degrees, the plane's nose should point right and not up in the sky). Thanks.

Regards,
Cg

> Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:01:00 +0200> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
> osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org> Subject: Re: [osg-users] finding normal
> of models> > Hi,> > CG wrote:> > > How do I retrieve the body axis of the
> model?> > Not sure what you mean by "body axis", but what you could do is
> load> both your model and the axes.osg sample dataset. Simply use> osgviewer
> <your-model-file> axes.osg> > The axes object will show the world coordinate
> system and should help> you figure out how to rotate your plane, as it will
> show how your> _untransformed_ plane is oriented compared to the world
> coordinate system.> > The axes object is probably quite small compared to
> your plane object> (depending on the units used for the plane, of course) and
> might even be> inside it. You can switch to wireframe mode in that case with
> "w" to> perhaps be able to pinpoint the axes.> > Paul> > > I'm thinking of
> retrieving the body axis of the model and use it to> > rotate the model by>
  rotation(osg::Quat(yaw, body_axis_z)*osg::Quat(roll,> >
body_axis_y)*osg::Quat(pitch, body_axis_x));> >> > pat->setAttitude(rotation);>
osg::Vec3(0,0,1))*osg::Quat(roll,> > osg::Vec3(0,1,0))*osg::Quat(pitch,
osg:Vec3(1,0,0)));> >> > pat->setAttitude(rotation);> >> > so that the aircraft
will be rotated correctly. Thanks.> >> > Regards,> > Cg> >> >> >
------------------------------------------------------------------------> >
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> > To: osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org> > Date: Wed,
4 Jun 2008 18:04:43 +0100> > Subject: Re: [osg-users] finding normal of models>
surfaces/tris etc that make up a model will have (or should have )> > normal's.
So sorry its not possible to retrieve a nodes normal's.> > In all my years of
being involved with vis-sim, you really have to> > know before hand how your
models are orien
 tated, scaled etc ,> > typically your modelling specs should state what is
north, what is> > up, what units are used etc, then these need to be enforced
on and> > followed by the content creators.> > Personally I don't know a way of
figuring out, in arbitary models> > what are north, up, right etc.. you have a
chance with> > scale/units. you have to know the orientation details of the
models> > Sorry not much help really> >> >
__________________________________________________________> > /Gordon Tomlinson
/> >> > Email : /[EMAIL PROTECTED]/> > Website : /www.vis-sim.com
www.gordontomlinson.com/> >> >
__________________________________________________________> >> > "Self defence
is not a function of learning tricks> > but is a function of how quickly and
intensely one> > can arouse one's instinct for survival"> > -*/Master Tambo
Tetsura/*> >> >> >
------------------------------------------------------------------------> >
*From:* [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 h.org> > [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] *On Behalf Of *CG> > *Sent:* 04 June 2008
17:27> > *To:* OpenSceneGraph Users> > *Subject:* [osg-users] finding normal of
models> >> > Hi,> >> > Is it possible to retrieve the Normal of a loaded node
(i.e. an> > aircraft in openflt format)? I need to find out the normal to> >
compute the forward and right axis to construct my rotation matrix> > to rotate
the aircraft correctly in every tick. Right now, when I> > roll my aircraft to
90 degrees follow by a 90 degrees pitch, the> > aircraft instead of banking to
the right, it rolls 90 degrees to> > the right and pitches up 90 degrees (as
the rotation axis is> > unchanged). I'm using positiontransformattitude node
for the> > setting of Attitude. Thanks.> >> > Regards,> > Cg> >> >