Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the links, combined with Chris and Alan's links I might get a better understanding of the general terminology and concepts... That's one thing I'm lacking now, it just sounds like a bunch of acronyms and alien words to me :-) I thought being in computer science I'd be immune to acronymitis by now...

Anyway the first task is to figure out whether you need to reproject your data at all. UTM is a flat-earth XYZ system. Do you have a terrain? What spatial reference system is it in?

We /will/ have a terrain, but I don't have details on it. If it's also in UTM, we could use it directly and just not reproject anything, right?

So you're saying we could just, for example, decide that our world origin is at some translation from the UTM coordinates' origin, and then translate all the data we get by that, and be done with it?

For example, from the specs document I've got, it seems the coordinates we might get would look like

576120.324, 6224420.858, -102.73

What units would that be in? Our models are modeled in meters, and we'd like to use meters as world-units, so for distances to look right would we need to scale the terrain and the position data we get?

Still a bit of confusion about the basic concepts. I'll go read those links now :-)

J-S