Hi Robert,

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't have any first hand experience of ATI's under Linux, but
earlier this month I was doing training with a group that had ATI's
under XP and there was a range of driver bugs, such as problems with
VBO's, mipmapping and some shaders.

I've seen this on past ATI/AMD generations too, my question was more if this is still the case on the latest generation. And also, if things are getting better but aren't up to snuff yet, I'd like to know.

Perhaps the thing to do is purchase a low end ATI card and just try it
out, if it doesn't work out well then you haven't lost much money.

That's a good idea, either that or buy the card I want at a retailer that has a good return policy. If it doesn't pan out I will pay at most a small restocking fee. I'll have to do some research to see which retailer in my area is lenient in this matter.

Thanks,

J-S