Hi  Judie

A rarer than hens teeth content question :)
We just use a standard 24 bit normal maps, for which we use a few different tools, the least sophisticated or useful of which is the Nvidia tool, works but is ugly and output is average. Xnormal www.*xnormal*.net and Crazybump http://www.crazybump.com/ are the primary ones, of which crazy bump is outstanding for extracting normal maps and displacement maps from images Xnormal is great for extracting normal maps from high rez models. X normal is free, Crazybump is not.

cheers
Jon

Judie wrote:
fyi... I found this link:
http://www.openscenegraph.org/documentation/OpenSceneGraphReferenceDocs/a01058.html#_details

and I am downloading NVidia's plugins for photoshop now hoping that
will be what I need.