Hi Robert,

Oh, I would probably be willing to go through fire to ensure that nobody can
break the system :-)

I am a great fan of writing modules that is as independent of other modules as
possible. This also means that I do not want to make future modules dependent
on current modules either (unless they have to be).
So if I can find a way for my module to automatically ensure that node-masks
holds a perfect format throughout the node-tree, then I will be happy. Adding a
pre-processing function will cause a few problems:
    - Future modules will have to set up their node-tree at module init so that
my module can run the pre-processing on them once.
    - Future modules will have to call my module to pre-process any nodes it
want to add later on.
    - Adding some 3rd party software will thus require interface coding as it
won't be able to use OSG directly.
I want to make life less painful in the future by doing some painful things now
:-)

Currently I am quite unable to find a good and easy way to automatically detect
when nodes are added to the tree.

There is one call osg::Group::childInserted(). It does not do anything:
    virtual void childInserted( unsigned int /*pos*/) {}
That would have been a great place for me to add code to call all parents's
childInserted, and thus end up with a call to that function on the root node. I
could override it in the root node to do my formatting thing.
Adding code there is not something everyone wants, so it would have to be a
modification I have to do to OSG every time we upgrade OSG. That would however
be less painful than having to ensure future modules that we create or get from
somewhere else stays true to our node mask regime. I am still willing to put in
a few more hours to avoid having to do that.

Regards,
Viggo