Hi Paul,

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Paul Melis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just a quick question: what about a 2.4 maintenance series, as that was the
> original incentive for a maintenance branch? I understand that now 2.6 is
> out we should focus maintenance on that series, but it seemed there was some
> interest in a maintained 2.4 series as well.

Which versions you maintain is up I'll leave up to you guys.  I'd
guess it'll depend upon other packages that use the OSG as well.  For
instance is a major program uses 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4 as it's base then
the developers should raise their hands and request, if not better
help maintain it as well.  Practicality wise I think it'd be good to
have developers who specifically require a certain branch to help
maintain it as they have direct need to make sure it work well.  This
would also help the maintenance crew scale to fit the needs of the
community.

Having a maintain crew really does open the door up to maintaining the
stable releases, which is a great step forward - I simply haven't had
the time nor intellectual bandwidth to cope with this.  The
intellectual bandwidth part is a big one, as trying to remember the
current state of play with just svn/trunk is challenging enough -
remembering the state of play of all stable releases before it without
confusion is well beyond my allotted grey matter can cope with.

I have 2.6 still fresh in my mind, but have begun to move on to
looking towards VPB 1.0 and OSG 2.7.x
series so thought it best to raise the topic maintenance before 2.6
gets swapped out of my cache.

I'll be making 2.7.0 this morning, and when I do this I'll post the
ChangeLog since 2.6 so the maintenance crew can review what could be
pulled across to the 2.6 branch.  Personally I'd be happy for
everything to go across.