Hi Ralf,

I haven't experimented with jpegs and osgdem for several years so it's
due a revist.  Adding more compression options into VPB will be
required, including the option to write to .ive with compression
jpegs.

One thing to note, using jpegs should reduce the memory footprint, but
will take more CPU time to decompression, will also prevent the use of
mipmaps so these will have to be generated by either the CPU or the
GPU, and also being uncompressed in main memory will mean uncompressed
when you download to GPU, pushing the CPU->GPU bandwidth, pushing the
GPU memory as well.  Given all of this, I'd expect using jpeg to
produce better download rates over the internet, but it'll be a
heavier load on CPU and GPU so frame drops will be more likely.

Robert.