Hi all,

We've been discussing the best way to distribute the Visual Studio 2008 dependencies binaries in another thread, and we'd like to have a general solution, so I thought it was time to move the discussion to its own separate thread.

What I'd like to suggest is to put these on the openscenegraph.org SVN in some separate directory from the OSG sources (so it could be checked out separately). Note that path names I give here will be just my suggestions and I'm open to different ideas.

Structure
=============================

Say we start this out at this path:

http://www.openscenegraph.org/svn/osg/OpenSceneGraph-binaries

From there we could have the platform:

OpenSceneGraph-binaries/win32
OpenSceneGraph-binaries/win64
OpenSceneGraph-binaries/linux32
OpenSceneGraph-binaries/linux64
OpenSceneGraph-binaries/osx32 (or darwin32? or ...)

Then, say for win32 (which will be the first candidate for this, so the first to be fleshed out):

OpenSceneGraph-binaries/win32/dependencies
OpenSceneGraph-binaries/win32/dependencies/vs71
OpenSceneGraph-binaries/win32/dependencies/vs80sp1
OpenSceneGraph-binaries/win32/dependencies/vs90

where vs80sp1 would then be similar (identical?) to Mike's repo at
https://osgtoy.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/osgtoy/3rdParty/branches/3rdParty_win32binaries_vs80sp1/

The base platform repos could contain the releases and any other platform-specific files we want to place there. Since we can access that svn repo from a web browser, the releases being there would mean that they could be downloaded as easily as from http://www.openscenegraph.org/downloads/, so we would just need that.

If we just want to use this scheme for dependencies for now, I would suggest changing OpenSceneGraph-binaries to OpenSceneGraph-dependencies and dropping the dependencies directory level.

Maintainers

The other thing that this would allow us to do is to assign maintenantce of the different parts of the repo to different people, depending on who has the interest and tools to compile and test the dependencies. The next question is who would be willing to step up and maintain these. I suggest to start with:

vs71: ? (I know Adrian Egli is one of the people who use this compiler, perhaps you would be interested Adrian?)
vs80sp1: Mike Weiblen (since he already does it on his site...)
vs90: Matthias Helsing (since he's offered his binaries for this version already)

Now, for other platforms, I'm open to discussion as to what would be useful to put in this kind of structure, and who would be interested in doing such a thing. On Linux at least, I think most people just get their dependencies from their distro's package manager, so dependencies are a bit of a non-issue, but maybe other things could be put there? (other than the release binaries) What about MacOS X? Do you need to download and compile 3rd party dependencies on that platform or do you just get them through Fink?

On a related note, I assume someone has already compiled the dependencies for win64 and has just not offered to distribute them. Would someone step up and want to maintain the win64 part above (either for vs80sp1 or vs90 or both)?

Thoughts? Comments?

J-S