Hi Cliff, Forest,

Read the camera analogy in the viewing chapter of the OpenGl red book.   It
will help with everyone having the same definitions of zoom and scale.  And, a
better chance the original post can be answered with a question using terms we
can understand.

Positioning the viewing volume (moving your eyepoint or camera) is not the same
as zoom or scale but could easily be confused as either.  This is the view
matrix.  Cliff's post seems to call this zoom.

Scale is a modeling transformation.  In an osg scenegraph a MatrixTransform or
related nodes modify the scale of an object (or scene if the top node is an MT).

Zoom is a projection transformation.  Change the field of view to change the
zoom.

Forest, we don't know what "zoom scale" means.  If you're trying to get zoom it
doesn't make sense to look at the view matrix.  You need to look at the
projection matrix.  Also, it doesn't make sense to look at the view matrix to
get the scale of an object.