The problem is that the projection is not even close to linear at the
poles, meaning that the mipmapping hardware does the wrong thing,
anisotropic filtering may help, but you'll still get the weirdness, it
will just be reduced. This is a limitation in using lat/long style
texture projections as it means the pole is represented by a line in
texture space rather than a point. For the earth this is not normally a
problem because few people go to the poles and they are usually covered
in ice and snow ( so have a very dull and uniform appearance ). For
other planetary bodies in the solar system, sometimes the poles are very
interesting though.

In the past I've has success using a Azimuthal Equidistant projection (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azimuthal_equidistant_projection ) for each
hemisphere to bypass this problem for rendering planetary bodies. The
problem with this is that the projection becomes less linear the further
away from the projection points ( east and west 'poles' in my case ).
I also know that other people have had success with a polyhedron based
projection. The simplest would be using a cubemap style projection.
These have the advantage that they use a number of linear projections,
so any distortion could be corrected by use of the 4th texture
coordinate.

Colin.