Hi Rick -- Congrats, this sounds like a great undertaking.

I have somewhat similar plans you might be interested in. My intent is to
set up an internship program with CU Boulder and take in two interns
starting in January. While I will expect real work out of them (to be open
sourced, either as an OSG contribution or a standalone project), I also
intend to teach them 3D graphics. Like you, I'll focus on using the
higher-level API, and only teach the low-level stuff as a means to
understanding the end.

Like you, I'm also afraid that this will be like drinking from a fire hose
-- way too much material for a semester-long internship. Hopefully, if the
interns do well through the January-April semester, I can convince them to
stay on over the summer and really put to use what they've learned for solid
code production.

Between the curriculum Bob Kuehne and I have developed for out OSG courses,
and the material I intend to create for this internship program, I hope to
finally have enough material to create the long-awaited OSG Programming
Guide book.

On the subject of final projects suitable for a semester course...
 * A set of replacements for the ShapeDrawables that use Geometry as their
base class. The benefit would be that code could easily access and modify
the vertices, they could be exported to FLT, etc.
 * A new polygon decimator that can remove boundary vertices (a limitation
of the existing osgUtil::Simplifier).
 * I've always thought it would be useful to write an export osgPlugin that
dumps out an HTML document per node, with the document displaying info about
that node and containing links to parent/children/siblings. This would be a
great analysis tool for any OSG developer.
 * Finally, there are always several new OpenGL extensions that could be
implemented in OSG... How about a Drawable that supports ARB_draw_instanced,
for example?

Let's keep in touch as our two programs progress.

Paul Martz
Skew Matrix Software LLC
http://www.skew-matrix.com <http://www.skew-matrix.com/>
+1 303 859 9466