Ok, it works now. Turns out I was doing it correctly, but the driver was defaulting to SLI with a single primary SLI focus display... stupid, I know ;)

Robert Osfield wrote:
Hi Ferdi,

You should be able to just specify the screen number to open up a
window on the required card.  osgviewer itself should open up on both
windows by default, does this happen?  If so then it's querying the
available screens and then opening up windows across then using the
ScreenIndentifier part of osg::GraphicsContext::Traits.  The code in
src/osgViewer/View.cpp so have a look through it for inspiration.

Robert.