Hi Robert,

----- "Robert Osfield" a écrit :

> Hi Fred & Jefferson,
>
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Frederic Bouvier
> <fredlis...@free.fr> wrote:
> > I have a patch to PrecipitationEffect that seems to work. I'll
> submit it
> > to osg-submissions
>
> I've just done a review of these changes and don't feel that there
> are
> mostr straightforward and effecient way to implement what is
> effectively near plan clipping.  The code will make the vertex
> program
> slower, and not cut down on rasteristation and fill load.
>
> I feel a better route would be to either:
>
> 1) use two Camera's to depth partition the scene as suggested earlier
> in this thread, as this would give you control over the worlds depth
> range where the precipitation exists
>
> 2) Use an osg::ClipPlane to clip the precipitation effect.  Using a
> clip plan would also allow you to control angle of the clipping.
>
> Neither the above routes require any changes to the core OSG, and
> both
> would not affect the vertex program load, and would clip out fragment
> so would cut down the fragment program load so would be more
> efficient
> than the submitted fix.
>
> Could you test out the above suggestions?

I will test the osg::ClipPlane route. I don't feel confortable to take
the depth partitioning route at this moment, and we already use this
technique for other purpose in FlightGear, that may conflict with that.
For the moment, the transition distance between the near camera and the
far camera is too far away to be useful for this purpose.

-Fred