osgATK (now osgAnimation, I believe) provides an animation-based nodekit. It
should be a good starting point for looking into animation in OSG.

Your first question seems somewhat contradictory. "Vertex animation" has
traditionally referred to an older, obsolete style of animation based on saving
the positions of all vertices, and manually manipulating each vertex to create
the animation. "Skinned animation", on the other hand, refers to a more modern
animation method, based on weighted vertex maps (skins) tied to a set of
skeletal animation "bones". Only the bones are manipulated (and their data
saved) in order to create (and describe) the animation.

Are you currently looking for a method of skinned animation in OSG?

Once again, I believe that osgAnimation provides the necessary tools to
accomplish this. It may also provide the ability to determine the current frame
or other animation state.

I have no need for animation in my current use of OSG, so I can't offer any
further help. Hopefully one of the osgATK/osgAnimation users (or developers)
will be along shortly to provide more complete information on this subject.

Matthew W Fuesz
Software Engineer Asc
Lockheed Martin STS

http://osgforum.tevs.eu/viewtopic.php?p=3826#3826