Oh, I almost forgot the thorniest thing I am trying to understand ...

In the game I am using particle effects for things like vapor trails,
explosions, smoke, etc.  They seem to have their own relationship with time,
and I do not know that they are "rewindable".  Lets say that I am in the
middle of an explosion and I want to replay that explosion, but not from the
very beginning, perhaps from somewhere in the middle.  Is there a way to
rewind the time and play the particle effect from a given time, or do I need
to somehow start a new effect over and fast-forward it to the appropriate
time?

Hope that makes some kind of sense,
-- Rick