Ok I hope this helps someone with the same problem. I've been on
vacation and thinking about it non-stop and ta-da it works now.
If anyone has a cleaner way of doing it please let me know. This is
all I could come up with! Thanks for the help!

class setModelName : public osg::NodeVisitor {
public:
        setModelName();
        setModelName(const std::string &name) :
osg::NodeVisitor(osg::NodeVisitor::TRAVERSE_ALL_CHILDREN) {
                nodeName = name;
        }

        virtual void apply(osg::Node &node) {
                // This makes sure the bones don't get renamed
                if (node.getName() == "BlenderModel") {
                        node.setName(nodeName);
                }
                traverse(node);