Hi Cory,

I'll have to defer to others on the situation under Windows when doing
remote desktop.  My guess is that it's likely to be a driver issue.

Well, using Remote Desktop adds a variable into the mix for sure, so eliminating this and running the app locally would eliminate one possible thing.

About one core being pegged, some video drivers implement vsync as a busy wait, which means that the CPU is not really pegged, it just looks like that. If you were to actually run real code on that core, along with OSG, you would see that that code would run at a normal speed because the vsync busy wait would relinquish the CPU while it's waiting for the next frame to start.

So my guess is that your ATI drivers are doing this, and what you're seeing is just the idle time between frames being counted as active time by Process Explorer because it's implemented as a busy wait. Of course, I'm speculating here, you'll have to run a real app (not just osgviewer) to see for yourself.

Note also that ATI's OpenGL drivers have never been the best... Though they say they're getting better, they have a long way to go. So there might be some of that here.

Hope this helps,

J-S