Hello guys,
I finally get to my other windows laptop and run the testcase on that system
too.
Both compiled in release, using osg as a shared lib; the results:
WIN32:
 *** test using GLUT ***
cpu time: 1641 milliseconds
effective time: 1.64645 seconds
average fps: 607.367
 *** test using osgviewer class only ***
cpu time: 1656 milliseconds
effective time: 1.66006 seconds
average fps: 602.389
OSX:
 *** test using GLUT ***
cpu time: 391.799 milliseconds
effective time: 2.70822 seconds
average fps: 369.246
 *** test using osgviewer class only ***
cpu time: 943.835 milliseconds
effective time: 16.8232 seconds
average fps: 59.4417

beside the performance difference (I guess because of the integrated intel
graphics on my macbook), what I feel strange is that on win32 the osgviewer
class is not bound to the 60Hz refresh rate, and the performances are
consistent in GLUT/nonGLUT "mode" (607 vs 602 fps), while in OSX there is a
huge difference between the two (369 vs 60 fps).
Maybe this is already known, or it's simply a matter of better setting up
the application.

If the testcase is needed I can attach it (is it possible to this mailing
list?) or paste the source code the the email, it's a single file. Or you
can reproduce it using the standard "osgviewer" application distributed with
osg.
The calls I'm doing to create the viewer are basically:

osgViewer::Viewer* viewer = new osgViewer::Viewer();
viewer->setSceneData( ****myscenenode*** );
viewer->setCameraManipulator(new osgGA::TrackballManipulator);
viewer->addEventHandler(new osgViewer::StatsHandler);
viewer->realize();
while (true)
{
    // update the viewer