Hi Cory,

In my mind, I'm equating the "thing" with the thing's geometry. And so if something is attached to the thing, I want the data structure to mimic that.

I can understand where you're coming from, but I think keeping things separate (at least conceptually) makes them more flexible. It's a matter of opinion, of course, as most design decisions are. :-)

Think of the Transform node as being just a change in coordinate systems. I tend to picture the graph upside down, or at least read it going from the leaves to the root (instead of the opposite). The geometry itself is modeled in its local coordinate system (that's just the Geode), then it's transformed to place it where it should be relative to some other thing (that's just the Transform). And so on.

Hope this helps,

J-S