----- From: Ben Axelrod at 2009-02-18 07:09-----
I still dont know why osg::View::NO_LIGHT doesnt work, but to answer my own questions, to turn off the default light completely:
{

  light->setAmbient(osg::Vec4(0,0,0,1));

  light->setDiffuse(osg::Vec4(0,0,0,1));

  light->setSpecular(osg::Vec4(0,0,0,1));

}

Hi Ben,

This is the best solution that I found.  I tried the example code from OSGQSG but it didn't work properly.  I appreciate comments here that it's not ideal because light#0 is wasted but it seems safer than trying to hijack this light which viewer expects to use.

Any suggestions or clues about taking control of light#0 will be greatly appreciated.

-- Steven