Hi Robert, Glenn,

Could the mime type simply be mapped to a plugin name?  If so then all
we'd need to do to set up a alias list for mime type in addition to
the current extension aliasing that the osgDB::Registry holds.

I've seen lately, MediaWiki keeps a mapping of MIME type to extension (for security, it checks that the file actually contains what its extension suggests it should). In our case, we could do the same, and when the MIME type is checked, an extension would be returned, and then the plugin for that extension would be used.

Where to store the mapping would be an open question though. Hard-coded in a header/cpp somewhere, or as a text file in OpenSceneGraph-Data? But I thought I'd just throw the idea out there.

J-S