Robert-

I'm glad this topic was brought up.  I am doing some work with non-linear
distortion correction and have taken the code in osgViewer for doing the
spherical distortion and made it more generic to accept a grid of points
that represent the distortion mesh.  This is just what the spherical
distortion routines are doing in osgViewer, except rather than computing the
points, it takes a rectangular grid.

What I would like to do is integrate this distortion code into osgViewer to
allow for more generic distortion grids to be used.  The existing spherical
distortion routines could use this by computing the appropriate distortion
grid and supplying that grid to this more general distortion generator.  The
result would be that the existing spherical distortion would still work, and
more general distortion patterns can be given too.

If you think this would be useful, let me know and I'll integrate the
changes and make a patch.

John