Hi Dario,

You analysis looks pretty reasonable.  Right now the only TerrainTechnique
provided is GeometryTechnique that is a brute force tessellation of the
height fields.  It is possible to implement your own TerrainTechnique to
implement algorithms such as CLOD but with modern hardware this isn't a
critical need, and in fact loading the CPU rather than the GPU is typically
the wrong thing to do these days, and brute force algorithms will produce
better performance/quality.

The paging system also reduces the need for CLOD alogorithms ans the LOD's
are built into the database by VirtualPlanetBuilder.  Paged database created
by VPB scales comfortably into the terrabyte range, whilest still rendering
at a 60hz at runtime, it also handles whole earth databases without skipping
a beat.  Very few CLOD implementations can come close to this scalability
and handling of whole earth coordinate systems + precision.

Robert.